[RC] Running down people...is okay? - Nina Vasiliev

I'm confused.

I do believe that placing a finish line in a safe place is important. Warning staff, crew and spectators to stay out of the way and watch for everyone's safety is necessary.

But placing, finishing, racing, completing...not one of these is reason enough to run down a person. I'm surprised that riders can be allowed to show for best condition, let alone place in the top 10 after a collision. Shouldn't this be a reason to disqualify riders? Isn't there a rule about safe conduct? Aren't people and their safety more important than...well...anything? I know that horses might be out of control, but then the rider should be disqualified if someone gets hurt. The rider is ultimately responsible. It is possible to ride a horse at top speed in a pack, and have the horse stop when asked. It just takes training. True, lots of it. But surely when we ride a horse in a competition, it has been trained enough to be safe. If not, spend more time training before competing. It's like driving a car in that we shouldn't drive any faster than we can see or be in control for that location and conditions of the road.

I'm not advocating shooting the horse and rider. But if they run a pedestrian down, well, that team shouldn't get a completion. (And they should be VERY grateful in our litigious society that the "victim" doesn't sue them and the ride manager.)

Let's keep expectations high. Please, let's not forget what's important. People, safety, training...then placings.

Nina Vasiliev (putting on flame retardant suit) :-)

Limited-time offer: Fast, reliable MSN 9 Dial-up Internet access FREE for 2 months! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup&pgmarket=en-us&ST=1/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness. A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help. ~ Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science, University of Dayton