RE: [RC] [RC] Learning from Riding Accidents - Laurie Durgin

Check your equipment alot .Especially the girth.:) Ride in a deep seat if you can. Ride balanced. Look where you are going :). Pay attention to your horses ears, muscle tension etc. Wear a helmet and /maybe a body protector for iffy horses/situations. Keep away from wacko horses and dangerous terrain. Too many risky variables at the same time and you likey could bite the dust. If in doubt, don't. Works for me.

From: "Kristen A Fisher" <kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Learning from Riding Accidents
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:29:57 -0500

I have been wondering about this for some time. I have heard many of you mention riding accidents you have had, whether on trail or at a ride, and wondered if you could identify a reason and hence take steps to prevent a recurrence.

Sometimes these stories frighten me (maybe THAT'S why I do LD haha), but I don't recall seeing anyone say "So to address that, I will..." Eg, the last time I came off on a ride it was going from a wooded trail into a clearing; the trail went left and he veered right and we parted ways. Now I am alert to this trick and make sure to have better rein contact in those instances. So what steps have you taken to prevent accidents from happening?

Kristen in TX

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page ? FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/

It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano