RE: [RC] [RC] Learning from Riding Accidents - heidi

Well, doing LD is no way to protect yourself from
accidents! You can just as easily come off your horse
in 25 miles as in 50!! Both groups generally ride the
same trails, the 50s just  do it twice... so don't
hold back on doing 50s for that reason!

And by far the most wrecks I've seen at rides have occurred right at the
start.  The second-most common wreck site is the finish.  You can pretty
well control your finish wrecks by HOW you finish, but no matter what
distance you ride, you can't avoid starting!  (Although there are also
strategies to deal with fractious horses at the start, too.)

I just "moved up" to a horse that my husband has been riding--he's
well-broke and a real sweetie, but VERY quick and athletic, and VERY
sensitive.  I'm actually contemplating whether to start right off on a
75-miler on him the first time I take him to a ride, just so I can avoid
the congestion that occurs at the starts of both LDs and 50s without
having to start so late that it puts him back with either the real slow
folks or the fractious horses whose riders are employing the strategies
alluded to above.  :-)  (So add "riding longer distances" to the
strategies for accident avoidance... )

Heidi

The two best drugs to have in your kit are Tincture of Time and a Dose of
Common Sense. These two will carry you through 99.999% of the problems
associated with horses and endurance competition.
~ Robert Morris