Re: [RC] Pulling back - Jim & Drin Becker

Sheila wrote
" I looked at her and said "He didn't get away did he? and he=
 stopped didn't he? She said yes but he will have rope burns, I=
 told her to go look at him because he wouldn't have a burn, she=
 declined to look and walked away muttering."

Well last week I went and caught my mare , put her rope halter on and tied her to the trailer as I always do to saddle . Saddled her up , went to clean her feet and started with her left front and she started leaning on me , after a couple of "Ruff stand up" I went to set her foot down to get a better grip and she pulled back and hit the end her leadrope and just lost it . She would jump forward and then would sit down pulling and shaking her head just fighting the whole time , I stepped back and let her fight for a couple minutes and then she finally threw herself to the ground with her head hanging about two feet off the ground . I couldn't budge the leadrope so reached into my trailer , grabbed a knife and cut the leadrope . She stood up shaking her head and had burned her head from one check across the poll to the other with her "Parelli" halter . My mare is a 7 yr.old has never before in her life pulled back when tied . I believe that when she pulled back at first the rope halter "bit" her on the poll and the fight was on . Usually I use a web halter on her for tying which is what I went back to after taking her out for a ride , hopefully that was her first and last experience with pulling back . But just an example that not all horses like or respect the rope halter , I will still use it as always I will just never tie with it again .
                                  Drin Becker
                                  Mtn Region