Re: [RC] this LD discussion - Truman Prevatt

The current rule states if BC is given it shall be judged the way it is in the longer distances. The new rule changes one word.

The current endurance rule (9) reads as:

"An award will be available for the equine judged to be in the Best Condition."

The current LD rule (L9) read as:

"An award may be available for the horse judged to be in the Best Condition."

The proposed changed LD rule will read the same as the endurance rule - that is a one word change.

It also states that it "will be made available" but it does not say it has to be given nor does the AERC BC scoring system have to be used. In fact the endurance rule states:

"9.1 The award does not have to be given.
9.1.1 The veterinarian(s) may feel that none of the equines in contention
for the award deserve to receive it.

9.2 Use of the AERC Best Condition System is optional with ride management.
9.2.1 Only equines selected as Best Condition using this system (with
Best Condition forms returned along with the ride results) are
recognized by the AERC.
9.2.2 Rides have the option of giving other Best conditions besides
the AERC Best Condition if they wish.
9.2.3 The AERC recognizes only one Best Condition equine at any
one ride."

But what it states is that the AERC only recogonizes BC as determined by the AERC scoring system.

The only difference between rule 9 and L9 (Limited Distance rules) is one work "will" vs. "may." The rule change is a one word change in the rule L9.

Under the current rule 9 (endurance) if the RM wants to use a home brew scoring system - that is their choice (in fact that's their choice in all distances). It won't be recognized by the AERC - under the current rule a home brewed scoring system for BC won't be recognized by the AERC.

I'm not sure this whole thing hasn't been blown way out of proportion - but what's new about that?

Truman

Jonni Jewell wrote:
I thought the LD BC discussion was if AERC should make it MANDATORY for ride
managers to offer LD BC, judged exactly like they do it for the endurance
rides. But, as usual, the LD discussion drifted off the original subject.
Jonni

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.