[RC] LD changes - Scott Johnson

I don't have any problems with LD's and expansion of these within AERC.
Though why would anyone drive for 4 hours, take off time on a Fri. , pay
the entry fee and then be done so quickly?

Well, since you asked, I'll answer on behalf of myself and Team slow Poke. We do LDs because WE ENJOY IT! Our lifestyles (ie family obligations, full time jobs, etc) don't allow us to train to ride 50s. We enjoy the WHOLE weekend- the drive, setting up Camp Slow Poke, the getting ready, the lovely trails that we actually get to see because we DON'T go fast, being with good friends for the weekend, mingling, talking, hanging at the vet check, and of course, the partnership with our horses.

I think that we do need to ENCOURAGE LD's.

I think I missed your "encouraging" part.

At the same time we can control it. 1) Ride Mangers could charge more for the LDer's, giving them an incentive to do the 50 miler.

We already pay (without complaint) almost the same fees as the 50 milers. I don't think raising the entry fees will do anything but make some us mad as hornets.

Oh, and by the way, I DON'T WANT AN INCENTIVE TO DO THE 50 MILER, thank you very much. I (and probably more than you realize) am perfectly content doing LDs. Aside from our reasons (see above), other people ride LDs because of physical limitations. I won't go into the rest of the reasons why people do LD, as it comes up every time the "LD discussion" happens here on Ridecamp.

Is this all because of the LD BC issue? In my opinion, some people are going to race and/or override their horses no matter what, unfortunately (be it LD or 50 miles), because they are irresponsible. Please don't assume we're all in that group.

Dede Johnson
Team Slow Poke
"Proud to be LD"

Of course things aren't perfect,  perfect doesn't exist on this earth.
Doesn't mean we won't go on trying to get better at what we do. Besides, if
everything was perfect today, what would you do tomorrow? Slamming each
other doesn't get anything done.
~  Dot Wiggins