Re: [RC] re: the best method to reform a dedicated puller - heidi

I am very puzzled by all this...how can you not have a  horse that ties?
Don't you tie the horse to your trailer when you are getting ready at
endurance rides?  What about riding someplace for lunch (like
restaurant), tie the horse outside?  What if someone gets hurt and you
have to attend to them in an emergency (sure handy if the horses get
tied up).  I just can't imagine not training or requiring that....don't
you ever leave your horse tied and run in the house for something?

I just don't get it.

To me part of a horse being fully usable means being able to be tied in
any situation.....that is good maners also.

I agree, Karen.  I've dealt with horses like this who have excellent
manners otherwise but who have never learned to tie.  There are times in
life where horses really DO need to be tied.

While I understand the point that horses should not HAVE to be tied in
order to do the things one needs to do with them (and I fully agree that
one SHOULD be able to do things with one's horse without tying), a horse's
education is not complete unless he will ALSO accept being tied and having
the same things done.

I've had to reeducate a few of these very polite horses--and yes, they
were well-trained to be saddled, bridled, groomed, whatever--but they
freaked when they were tied.  Had nothing to do with what we were doing to
them--it was the tying itself that had never been taught.  And that is as
much a void in their education as not teaching them to have feet handled,
be saddled, or anything else.

A horse needs to learn to accept whatever happens--tied OR untied.  And to
"always" do everything untied is as much a detriment to a horse's
education as to "never" do things untied.  One of the most basic aspects
of a horse's education, IMO, is accepting the restraint of a rope--be it
one that ties the horse up, one that restrains a leg, or one wrapped
anywhere around one's body.  I can't begin to count the number of times
that I've ridden into a hazard and had my horse just STOP--because he
accepted the restraint of something around his leg.  Sure, you can say
that if he has complete trust in his rider, he will stop anyway--but how
much more fair it is to him if he has already LEARNED that being hung up
isn't a problem?  And what if he becomes "restrained" in a fence or other
hazard when you are not there?  Being tied up is fundamental.

Heidi

It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano