Re: [RC] re: the best method to reform a dedicated puller - Jim Holland

Ditto.....

Ground manners first, saddle manners later.  Not a hitching rack or a
crosstie on my farm.  I never tie for ANYTHING....saddling, wash rack, or
grooming. I EXPECT good manners....and I get it.

Today I pre-rode the trail for the Blue Ridge Adventure Race.   The Fannin
County EMS (including Equine Rescue) does security for this "thing".  One of
those Bike/Run/Raddle things that we do here for the tourists.  My friend
Patty Davenport, my "partner" in Equine Rescue, has an Arabian mare, about
7-8  years old who is absolutely bomb proof...an atomic bomb next door would
get maybe a glance in that direction. <grin>  Love this horse...been trying
to buy her for 3 years now. She has bunches of horses, but spends NO time
with this mare. I got there to pick her up and she grabs Molly out of the
pasture and sticks her in the crossties to brush her. Molly is dancing all
over the place, trying to turn around, in total "happy feet" mode.  After a
few minutes of watching this "dance", I asked Patty to just let me "hold"
her.  I dropped the crossties, turned her around so she could look OUT the
barn, scratched her ears, gave her a few soft words and dropped the lead
line on the ground.  She stood there quietly for 20 minutes, never moved a
foot with her head down enjoying the grooming and me scratching her ears,
head and mane. She also has trailer loading problems....but if I load her
she steps right on.  She also "rushes" off the trailer...unless I unload
her.  With me, she will quietly step down, even stopping with two feet still
on the trailer.  Molly and I are soul mates....what's the penalty for horse
stealing these days? In addition, Sunny is in love! :)

Sadly, Patty does not speak Arabian...  <sigh>

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic