Re: [RC] Knee galls (mine!)--need advice - heidi

When I first started riding endurance, I found that jeans didn't work
(knee galls).  A year or so later after I had switched to tights, I
noticed that one fellow who rode 100's when available, and 50's the rest
of the time used jeans.  That night while around the campfire, I asked
him how he prevented knee rubbing.  He mumbled something about riding
properly.  His wife chimed in and exposed his secret: "Panty hose"!  On
top of it he was too
embarrassed to go to the store for them and she had to buy his for him.

Another time I was at an organized trail ride (Yuk!) one "cowboy" was
giving me a lot of s**t about my helmet and tights.  That night at
supper he changed into shorts.  His knees looked like hamburger!  I
refrained from laughing out loud.

Ed, I have to admit that to say I "never" had problems with knee galls
isn't 100% accurate.  I did my first endurance ride in 1973, and it was
the Virginia City 100.  I saw a bunch of riders at the start with Ace
bandages wrapped around their knees.  I thought, "Gee, that's odd--aren't
they used to RIDING??" Afterward, with my shredded knees smarting, I
thought "Gee, they sure knew something I didn't!"  Regular jeans went out
of my competition "wardrobe" as well from thereafter...  :-)

Heidi

There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse.
~  Teddy Roosevelt