[RC] The Full Chico - Julie Fuller

Ray,

Reading about you and Chico So reminds me of a horse I had years ago! *smile* And Gods! Do I miss him!

He was a palomino paint with the moves of a Lippizan, the mind of an Arab, and the heart of a lion. He was "predictably unpredictable", convinced he was a stallion, and riding him was what I always called a "Mexican Standoff" Sometimes, I won, sometimes he won, but we always trusted and respected each other. He NEVER let me down in a tough situation, but would take full advantage of any situation calling for a grand exhibition of his maneuvers.

In the 5 years I had him, I had several astounding offers for him, had everyone guess his breeding wrong except one person, rode him in endurance, gaming, on the trail, on the road, and tried to break him to drive (That was interesting, but futile!) He "bred" every mare who hit the place, ( I once had a man stop by to ask what the stud fee was on the stallion in the field..... he sure looked funny when I told him I'd take his money for a breeding, but it would just be practice. He had to see for himself that the horse had no testicles. *grin*) and was the king of the pasture.

He had quite the fan club of people who saw us road riding..... but most of these people were terrified of him when they came to see him at home, and witnessed his stallion behavior. Several people said he should be put down..... I was always kind of amazed that someone didn't do just that before I got him. I got a long great with him... I treated him like a stallion, so for me, it wasn't an issue. I had dealt with stallions before, but a lot of people haven't a clue, and that CAN be dangerous.

Enjoy your boy! I miss Sonny all the time, and he's been gone 13 years. I lost him to EPM, which was devastating to a horse with his moves, drives, and personality. I like to daydream about having him cloned..... but I know it wouldn't be the same.... Sonny's personality came from his experiences, just like people. But I can still ride him in my dreams!

Julie

One would think that logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle. ~ Bob Morris