[RC] Memories - WRSINOSKY

Susan's reflection over another rider's criticism brought to mind my most recent ride. I was waiting to have Doimas the beastie's post ride vet check when this lady standing next to me says in her most disgusted tone, "I cannot BELIEVE you do not have shoes on that horse!"  I smiled and told her I never put shoes on my horses, to which she gave me this horrified look, pinched her lips together and said "Well!"  So then I couldn't leave it alone and informed her I live near alot of mountains that are nothing but cactus and volcanic rock and when the horses' feeties start getting long, I gallop them up and down the mountains to trim them.  I thought she was going to have a stroke or call the humane society.  Honestly?  Well, I do canter them up and down the mountains alot, and it does wear down their little hoofies, but none of them have gotten so much as a stone bruise.  I attribute that to the fact they've never had shoes on to begin with, except old Sebastian, and him I take it easy.
Cindy Edwards, Buckeye, AZ