[RC] new horse? - Melissa

Hi I'm Melissa(primarily a lurker) and I have a questions for the trainers out there.
I looked at a very nice CTR/endurance prospect this weekend and am torn.  This Arab (not completely sure if I speak Arabian yet) is 8 has Competitive orienteering under her belt and goes real well with a soft mouth. I rode her and she rides great. The problem is she is EXTREMELY head shy(most especially around her ears). It was a battle to get the bridle on. Is this something a newbie can train this horse out of with time and patience or since she is 8 is this a permanent thing? I'm not sure if I buy her I'm biting off more than I can chew as my current older Arab has no vices to train away.
What are some thoughts? Thanks in advance for your time.