Re: [RC] new horse? - heidi

Hi I'm Melissa(primarily a lurker) and I have a questions for the
trainers out there.  I looked at a very nice CTR/endurance prospect this
weekend and am torn.  This Arab (not completely sure if I speak Arabian
yet) is 8 has Competitive orienteering under her belt and goes real well
with a soft mouth. I rode her and she rides great. The problem is she is
EXTREMELY head shy(most especially around her ears). It was a battle to
get the bridle on. Is this something a newbie can train this horse out
of with time and patience or since she is 8 is this a permanent thing?
I'm not sure if I buy her I'm biting off more than I can chew as my
current older Arab has no vices to train away.  What are some thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your time.

First thing I'd start with is a good dental evaluation to see if part of
the problem is due to pain.  And follow up with chiropractic.

Once that is done, and one has either ruled out or eliminated pain as a
part of the problem, then yes, with most horses you CAN work this out.

Start with a bridle that unbuckles so that she gets used to being bridled
without a fight.  Separate that part of it from handling her ears.  Work
on that as a different project.  Once you can handle her ears while not
attempting to bridle her AND she is used to being bridled without a fight
because it doesn't involve her ears, you can likely work back into doing
it the normal way.

Heidi

When you ask a Quarter horse for something he says - Sure -  and when you
ask an Arab for something he says  - Why? -
~  Heidi Smith