[RC] ears - LOUISE BURTON

Hi Melissa,
Sometimes ear shyness is not a training problem at all.  Your horse may be telling you he is sore. Their poll is out of alignment.  I would take this horse to a chiropractor and have it checked out.
I would have been leery of this, too, but I have seen complete night and day differences in horses.  One horse I worked for months trying to get him to let me touch his ears, without success.  A bridle was next to impossible.  A friend told me the above, I had him checked, and sure enough, his poll was out.  About two weeks later I was bridling him like everyone else, and I suddenly thought: THIS was the horse I could not get near his ears.  100% turnaround.
Hope this helps.  In this case, no amount of training in the world would have worked until he was pain free.
PS.  Also check for ticks!
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians

Melissa <melisamk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi I'm Melissa(primarily a lurker) and I have a questions for the trainers out there.
I looked at a very nice CTR/endurance prospect this weekend and am torn.  This Arab (not completely sure if I speak Arabian yet) is 8 has Competitive orienteering under her belt and goes real well with a soft mouth. I rode her and she rides great. The problem is she is EXTREMELY head shy(most especially around her ears). It was a battle to get the bridle on. Is this something a newbie can train this horse out of with time and patience or since she is 8 is this a permanent thing? I'm not sure if I buy her I'm biting off more than I can chew as my current older Arab has no vices to train away.
What are some thoughts? Thanks in advance for your time.

http://pages.prodigy.net/firedancefarms