Re: [RC] Mares In foal - Lindak

Peggie said:
Could anyone tell me if it's normal for a mare to be in foal and due anytime,
suddenly start showing signs of being in heat because a new horse (gelding)
was put next to her?
I spoke with a local vet who said it happens, but wanted to know if anyone on
the list has experienced this.

I had this very same experience this Jan.  My mare "Beeper" was ultrasounded in foal at 45 days, last August.  Then when she was about 6 months along I put a gelding in the next corral and she immediately came into heat and showed to him.  I thought she had probably re-absorbed the foal as she didn't look pregnant at all.  Soooooo after a month or so I had the vet out to do a manual preg check and he said "we are definately having a baby".  She is due June 6th (that will be 340 days) and still doesn't really look pregnant.  My 26 y.o. barren mare has as much belly as Beeper does.  Maybe it will be a small foal, or she might go a lot longer.  I worry a little because she doesn't look pregnant. So I keep Bermuda grass hay in front of her all the time, feed her a flake of Alfalfa each evening, and just started 1/2 scoop of Equine Sr. morn & evening.  Hope this diet is ok.  She isn't thin at all and not really fat (at least not to me).  If anyone can suggest a better diet, I love to hear about it.
Thanks,
Lindak