[RC] Nail pricks, etc - A. Perez

 Personally I believe there is a time and place for negative
reinforcement (not the same thing as punishment: NR occurs
simulataneously, or as close as humanly possible, to the bad
behavior, where as punishment is after-the-fact) if judiciously
combined with positve reinforcement.  But would a horse perceive
a nail prick as a signal meaning 'No, don't do that', or just as
a random irritant like a fly bite?  Seems the only virtue of the
nail prick is stealth (other humans won't know you're doing it
and get on your case) which means it's that much less likely the
horse will see it as a correction.  I'd rather see a good loud
slap on the neck and "NO!" than the stealth approach.  It will
be more honest, and more effective.  If anyone complains, tell
them to go train their own horse.

I believe one well timed, clear correction is more humane than a
dozen unclear, ineffective ones.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm