Re: [RC] Mares In foal - heidi

Could anyone tell me if it's normal for a mare to be in foal and due
anytime,  suddenly start showing signs of being in heat because a new
horse (gelding)  was put next to her?
I spoke with a local vet who said it happens, but wanted to know if
anyone on  the list has experienced this.

Absolutely normal.  Estrogen levels rise rapidly just prior to
foaling--and it is estrogen that causes heat-like behavior.  Some mares
near due act like downright hussies, although they'll generally kick the
snot out of any stallion silly enough to try to mount.  Lots of
contradictions when both progesterone and estrogen are high...  <g>

Heidi

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton