[RC] March equine brain virus... - Chris Paus

---I saw this on another list and it cracked me up..
I've experienced this... and am sure many of  you
have, LOL...

Something happens in March, that cannot be explained
simply by "the length of the day," or "the
temperature," or "the weather." In mares it isn't
entirely a case of hormonal changes. What it is, is
the annual onset of the Equine Brain Stealing Virus,
(EBSV.) EBSV occurs most often in, but is not
entirely restricted to the month of March. Some
seasonal variation has been documented depending upon
the geographical locat1on of the victim.

EBSV affects horses in different ways, but typical
symptoms include foolish, and stupid behavior
indicating a temporary absence of brains. A horse
who has been driven successfully for many years will
suddenly act as if she has never seen or felt a
harness before, has forgotten the difference
between up and down, and believes that the cart to
which she has been put for the last 5 years, has
become a giant monitor lizard.

In a recently documented case the victim, a 9 year old
appaloosa mare, professionally trained and amateur
driven for 6 years, became so terrified
of a particular snow bank, (one of many in the
farmyard,) that she bolted while being ground driven
and ran back into the barn. The driver fortunately
had not had *her* brains stolen, and let the lines go,
thereby avoiding an ugly ground *dragging* event. In
previous and subsequent attempts to drive and/or lead
this mare, she was observed spooking, balking,
snorting, flaring her nostrils, dancing a tarentella
and in general behaving as if she had not had one day
of training, other than in exotic dance, in her life.
After analysis of the symptoms, and a quick check of
the calendar, the diagnosis of EBSV was confirmed.

Fortunately, EBSV infection is generally short lived.
Treatment consists of repeated exposure to the horse's
normal world, after which time the brain
gradually returns. In some cases normal brain function
returns suddenly and leaves no indication of having
ever been affected. The mare referenced above
has not fully recovered, but after 2 hours of work on
the long lines and put to a carriage, she appeared to
be making significant improvement. Four miles
of road work at a trot may have been the most
effective treatment, and will be repeated this weekend
in hopes of effecting a complete cure.
Research on EBSV is being conducted throughout the
Northern Hemisphere this month by many horse owners.
We anticipate full recoveries of most subjects,
and look forward to the reports that will certainly
follow.

by Laurie Neely

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith