[RC] teaching a horse to drink??? - Elkenchild

My mare and I tried our first 25 this weekend, but quit after the first loop, to my dissapointment. She had pulled off feed and water in the morning, and showed visual gut cramping at VC. Though she only scored a B, the vet said she needed to drink, and when she continued to refuse feed and water I made an executive decision and scratched! Here are the factor I've taken into consideration: she was over-excited about first ridecamp experience, in-season, I fed her too much in the two days before the event, she had been eating only the alfalfa out of our hay/alfalafa mix (because I had been giving her so much hay), the electrolytes put her off water (does that happen)? Any feedback would be great, and how can I teach her to drink strange water in a strange place, if it's even possible! Thanks for the advice. We will be trying again in a month or two!

Laura
"Not all who wander are lost." (jrr tolkien)