Re: [RC] Mares in foal - heidi

I have a mare due to foal in April - her first as well as mine.  11
months would be  April 20, but I understand the foal could deliver
anytime during April 10-30.  So far,  she's huge!  udder is developing
some, area around tailhead is sinking a little but not  much.

I've been reading and asking around, but am always on the look out for
more info. I'd love to hear any insights you may have.

I'm not Diane, but given than April 10 is 11 months, she could deliver any
time from last week to June 20 and still be in the "normal" range.

After 30+ years foaling out mares, the main rule I've come away with is
that the mare doesn't read the book.  The things you describe all suggest
that foaling will be "soon"--but don't tell you HOW soon.  Most mares
wax--some don't.  Most foal within 24 hours of waxing--some will wax for
2-3 weeks.  Most mares will foal within 24 hours of the milk changing
color--some will stream milk for a week or more.

I had a mare foal two years ago with a reasonably full udder but no wax,
minimal relaxation, and the main "sign" being that she was slapping her
tail up and down.  I went back up to the house to get a foaling pen ready,
and came back down 20 minutes later to find her new baby lying in the
grass swivelling his ears around trying to figure the world out already.

I've also gotten up diligently with waxed mares that carried on for 3
weeks...

Heidi

Why should I look good if I don`t smell good?
~  author unknown