Re: [RC] Electric fence/pasture - Truman Prevatt

Depending on where you are your grounding will differ. If I were out west where the soil is dry a major part of the year, I'd run multiple strans and ground a lower stran(s) so even if there is no absolute ground contact with a live and ground strand would have the desired effect.

To eliminate the potential of a ground wave from impacting your ground you need three rods - at least 8 feet apart each. Better to have them 12 feet apart. The ground from the charger shoud be connected in series to the three rods.

Most of the time in the East we can get away with two since by the time you get to 8 feet down there is sufficient mosture. The code on the power company delivering service is two 12 foot ground rods. Out west I would not depend on that.

The one thing I would not do reccomend - particularly in FL, the lightining capitol of the world, is to use anyting by a solar charger. I kow more than one person that used a charger plugged into his electrical serivce. Lightining hit his fence, came back trough his charger into to the horse and took out his electronics - computer, TV, etc. In the five years I have been living where I live I have had lightining smoke a section of the electric stran I have on the top of my fence. I have had the wire vaporized for 5 to 10 foot sections. I have lost two solar chargers (even with two lightining supressors on the fence) but it's stayed away from the expensive stuff.

Lightining will deliver a couple hundred million volts in a few nanoseconds - nothing can stop that.

Truman

Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
That is probably the most neglected part of the installation of an electric fence.  Again Horseguard and other fencer instructions have good diagrams and text on proper grounding, you just have to read the instructions.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.