Re[2]: [RC] Injectable glucosamine vs. brand name Adequan - Roger Rittenhouse

OK I went to the adequan.com site. I guess it is NOT a CS but is a
type of glucosamine.
here is a cut from the site FAQ

SNIP
Q: How does Adequan® i.m. work?

A: Adequan® i.m. (POLYSULFATED GLYCOSAMINOGLYCAN) supports cartilage
repair processes, binds to damaged cartilage and suppresses the
enzymes that eat away at joints. It helps keep joints lubricated,
making movement easier and increases your horse's comfort by reducing
inflammation and relieving pain.

Q: What type of medication is Adequan® i.m.?

A: Adequan® i.m. is a member of a unique class of drugs called
Disease-Modifying Osteoarthritis Drugs (DMOAD). It is an injectable
polysulfated glycosaminoglycan (PSGAG) and is the only approved
product of its type in the arthritis treatment market. It's a
prescription-only injection administered by licensed veterinarians.

Q: How is Adequan® i.m. different from other DJD treatments?

A: Adequan® i.m. relieves the symptoms and helps treat the disease -
the only joint therapy product on the market that can do both.
Adequan® i.m. binds to components of the cartilage matrix, potentially
improving the damaged tissue and shielding against degenerative
enzymes already present in the joint; blocks the release and/or action
of more than a dozen varieties of enzymes that damage cartilage and
dilute synovial fluid; stimulates the repair of joint components;
relieves pain and inflammation, and improves lubrication to the
damaged joint.

SNIP
OK what about NEOGEN CHONDROPROTEC? It is listed for WOUND use only
BUT its the same stuff??
Here is a cut from their site  http://www.neogen.com/ChondroprotecP.htm
SNIP
Chondroprotec®-P
Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan Sterile Solution with Benzyl Alcohol

Description
Chondroprotec-P is a sterile 5 mL solution containing 500 mg of
Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan (100 mg/mL). For use on dogs, cats and
horses.

Indications
? Partial and full thickness wounds
? Secreting and bleeding dermal lesions
? Trauma injuries
? 1st and 2nd degree burns
? Pressure ulcers (Stages I-IV)
? Surgical incisions
? Donor sites
? Venous stasis ulcers

Features
? 500 mg of PSGAG in a 5 mL vial (100 mg/mL)
? Derived from bovine trachea
? Benzyl alcohol (as a preservative)
? Patented technology
? Sold in single vial increments

The reason for this is to prevent from being sued for patent copy??
I was informed the only difference is molecular weight - that is
this is thinner then ADEQUAN.  The source is bovine trachea - a common
source of CS. Its from from the same building block just depends how
it is refined and what components are extracted.?

So based on this what is the real difference between the injectable
glucosamine and Chronoprotec? All the same or only SLIGHTY different
chemistry?
snip

The next cut is from a vet site with IM GL. Does not give the
chemistry that is the actual component name as above products.. but it
sure is cost effective.
snip
Glucosamine is the leading joint health product available.

Not only does it establish good joint health in the old and injured
joints, it promotes good joint health in all age and condition
performance equine.

There are two popular routes of administration at this time. The most
common one is orally. The other one is injectable, and this one is
becoming more popular among savvy equestrians. It is our opinion and
that of many equestrians around the world that the injectable route is
superior. The major disadvantage of using the injectable, namely cost,
has been eliminated. Leaving the advantages of injectable far out
weighing the advantages of oral. Injections of glucosamine are 100%
utilized. Spillage and gut non-absorption problems are eliminated.

We have found a reliable low cost source of sterile injectable
glucosamine that in most cases is less expensive than the oral
products. A once per month dose of 500mg glucosamine in the muscle has
provided equal or superior effectiveness to oral use. If you are now
using an injectable product make sure you are giving a full dose of
500mg. Our product is a 100mg/ml strength which allows for a small 5
ml injection.

Glucosamine;
10 ml Vial (two doses) ..... $30.00 each

snip
 I did not post the site since I did not want to create a potential
 conflict issue.. let it go at that  for educational purposes only..

Therefore pick your product.. all three listed - I have used ALL of
them mixed them up - that is one month ADEQUAN next IM GLU next
CHRON.

AND DONT go with the rule 13 crap either.. been there done that its
NOT the issue here.

As you can see -today we are not riding :)  days off.

Roger Rittenhouse
www.vmaxept.com

JT>  Hi Roger,

JT> Thanks for all of the great info! ?One question though..I was always under
JT> the impression that Adequan was a glucosamine product, not chondroitin. ?Are
JT> yo certain about it being chondroitin?

JT> I went to their product info page and it says that Adequan is "polysulfated
JT> glycosaminoglycan" ?- so is that chondroitin or glucosamine, or maybe a
little
JT> of both?

logic would prevail. But then, if logic did prevail,
men would ride sidesaddle.
~  Bob Morris