[RC] Injectable glucosamine vs. brand name Adequan - Roger Rittenhouse

I too have been dealing with this again.
There are a few studies that I read in THE HORSE that does support
the use  oral  glucosamine  but it is limited. MOST studies say the use
of oral CS is not really worth it since only about 20% is absorbed.
The best product for joint lubrication and protection is ADEQUAN. It
has been proven to work in many studies. ADEQUAN is IM chondroitin
sulfate, it is NOT the same as GL

The look alike product CHRONOPROTEC is suppose to be the same,
however 'studies' indicate it does not work as well. I think these
studies came from the ADEQUAN mfgr.
I have used CHRONOPROTEC and ADEQUAN  both appear to work. My test
subject is 26 yr old with many miles of work and some joint issues. I
have used the GL IM but was sure it was as good.

It is difficult to tell IF the substance really works , that to help
create good joint lubrication to act as a preventative agent vs one
that will correct damage in a horse with known joint issues. My old
mare is sound but has reduced flexion and range of motion. If I leave
her off any joint product for a month then ride her I can feel the
difference. The put her back on it again and in a week she is back to
moving very free and easy. Sure would of liked to had these product
back when she was doing rides, I would have reduced the amount of
joint damage due to the use.

CHRONOPORTEC is about 1/2 the cost. I get a 2x dose for $52. If I buy
more I get it for less.

There is an injectable IM GL that I have used but was advised it does
not work as well. However many riders are using it since it is
obtained from an endurance vet. I have NOT read any study to show if
the IM GLU works or not. Just riders who use it and get proven results.
 I do not remember    the cost but it was reasonable.

I think I will keep feeding the oral GLU pure product. I use HCL I
get it from UCKELE. I will give the ADEQUAN I have (4) then go back
to the CHRONOPROTEC.  I will hold my decision to use IM GL until I
find more data and studies to show me its works as well as the IM CS
(ADEQUEN).

Roger Rittenhouse
www.vmaxept.com
800 655 8629
pictures  http://community.webshots.com/user/psdendurance

From: Jennifer Thompson <jlthompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:s

Hi all,

After listening to Dr. Garlinghouse's talk on supplements at convention
(can't remember if it was the AERC or NATRC talk) and recently
discussing joint supplements with her in person, I have decided to
forego purchasing any more oral joint supplements, as none of them have
ever really been scientifically proven to work, and just go with monthly
IM injections of Adequan.

I was shocked, however, at how much the price of Adequan has gone up
since the last time I used it (it's now $60 to $70 per one-dose vial!),
and am now looking into similar products I've been seeing adverstised,
labeled as just plain old "injectable glucosamine".

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond