[RC] City Slickers - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jennifer Jlwarabs@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all- Just wanted to add a few cents worth to Angie's description of the City
Slicker Ride.  I was on the horse that fell at the metal plate laid over a
cattle guard.  Thankfully we are both all right- had to pull due to sitff and
soreness, but thank god he didn't shred his legs on the thing.  It was on an
asphalt walkway in the park, and Saga is used to street riding and checking on
the asphalt, so we checked as we hit asphalt to a easy trot, and the plate was
kind of on a turn so by the time it registered in my head I couldn't drop him
to a walk, and I don't think he ever realised it wasn't pavement.  He just
pushed off behind and sprawled- cartoon, belly flop style. I was terrifed for
his legs!  But he will befine- just rest and antibiotics should fix him up- he
seems sound already on the front leg that he did cut.  From what I heard,
several horses had trouble with it, and at least 1 other fell, but we were the
only ones to have issues from it.
Anyway- Angie- just so you know- that entire ride was on Shelby Farms property-
the 4 lane hwy just splits the park.  This is a local ride for me, so I know
the park, I grew up in Memphis.  (you can be sure I will make sure that the
ride manager has has something laid over the metal plate next year.)
Anytime people ask me about City Slickers I try to make sure that they know-
physically is is a very easy ride for the horse as it is so flat.  Mentally
however it is one of the most challenging as it is a city park, swingsets,
model airplane fields, dog walking etc...  one year theere was a 6 ft pink
bunny out there as the ride was closer to easter and they had a big esater egg
hunt going on.  Anyway- it definitely is a very different ride, and while I am
a little annoyed at the moment because I think our accident was preventable had
their been signs up to warn us, or better yet a trailer mat laid over the
plate... I'll get over it.

Jennifer and Summer Saga
www.mysticrosearabians.com

taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards