Re: [RC] I don't want BLIND obedience from a horse... - Kristen A Fisher

I have also found that mine gets used to the arena and what is and is not
normal there. Stuff that is not normal in the arena will scare him (huge
crows flapping around, ducks flying off the pond) but on the trail it
doesn't bother him near as much - I get the sense he knows it's not as
predictable an environment and adjusts as such (or am I
anthropomorphizing...?)

Kristen

I have to laugh at this one as it reminds me of my own experience a couple
of weeks ago. I've ridden Tank over metal bridges, wooden bridges, opened
gates, etc., and been round lots of scary stuff out on the trail. After
the
AERC convention and the talk on engagement in the endurance horse, I
decided
to take Tank over to the local stables and use the well-groomed arena to
do
a little schooling.

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt