Re: [RC] I don't want BLIND obedience from a horse... - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

I have to laugh at this one as it reminds me of my own experience a couple
of weeks ago. I've ridden Tank over metal bridges, wooden bridges, opened
gates, etc., and been round lots of scary stuff out on the trail. After the
AERC convention and the talk on engagement in the endurance horse, I decided
to take Tank over to the local stables and use the well-groomed arena to do
a little schooling.

About the same time I got ready to go in, a local trainer showed up with a
trailer full of lesson horses and little kids showed up to take lessons,
some of which had never been on a horse before. We all get to the arena at
the same time. Of course, they're horses are these nice, quiet QH types who
don't raise an eyebrow at anything. Tank will occasionally raise an eyebrow
at something out on the trail but it's usually just nothing more than that.

The stable owner's wife go the biggest laugh in the world, as she watched my
Great Trail Horse have a total terror fit over the white, 3-railed arena
fence. It took me 5 minutes to get him close enough to the fence to touch it
with his nose. Then there were the telephone poles laying outside the arena,
and the orange construction cones and the sprinklers attached to the fence
.... The little kids were looking very wide-eyed at the complete shenanigans
of the Wild Arabian, and the looks on their parents faces was even worse.

Needless to say, within 10 minutes of entering the arena I was making my
bowed-head exit with profuse apologies to the trainer for disrupting her
class. Yikes!

So I took Tank outside the arena for a little spin and he was his usual
perfect self. Guess he doesn't like to be fenced in! LOL Next time, I'll
make sure there are no lessons scheduled for the same time.

:) Jackie and Tank