Re: [RC] I don't want BLIND obedience from a horse... - rides2far

To which the judge replied: "If I'm riding, and there's a
mountail lion in the vicinity, I WANT my horse to tell me about
it!"

I raised and trained a mare when I was a teen. Rode her on trails for 3 years
and then sold her. The people who bought her were show people and took her to a
show and entered a Trail Class that weekend since she was, after all, a "trail
horse".

They called me and said that though she didn't win, she'd been the crowd's
favorite. First, there was a gate with a loop over the post for a latch they
were to open and close. I had no idea how to teach a horse to sidepass, but
Banner had, on her own learned to open loop gates with her lip and I'd had to
change my latches on my own stretched barbed wire gate. The kid at the show
kept trying to get Banner to get up close enough for the kid to reach the latch
and Banner had finally had enough. She took her lip, opened the latch, then
gave the gate a shove with her nose and walked through. After going through she
took her head and gave it a shove closed since that's how she and I had gone
through my neighbor's gate for years.

After that she was supposed to cross a "bridge" made of 4x4's with short boards
nailed between them to simulate a bridge. Banner had crossed many bridges in
her life but completely refused this one. The kid left the ring. The next
"trained trail horse" tried to cross the bridge and the boards broke under its
weight.

The people said several onlookers told them after the class that if they really
had to ride on the trail they'd take Banner over the winner any day. :-)

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton