Re: [RC] Saddle for draft horse - Julie Fuller

Thank you so much for your response. I actually put the question out there for a friend of mine and she so appreciates everyone's comeback. I'll pass this one on for sure!!
?
Deb

Well, tell your friend I said good luck! Draft horses are wonderful! I was very lucky to have been a member of our local draft horse association, and spent a few years learning from all the wonderfull older gentlemen and their awesome teams of percherons and belgians.

I'll NEVER forget going out to visit the president of the club with the new owner of my (only) Percheron foal (she wanted hitching lessons, and I had no draft horses at that time, having sold the dam of her colt) We spent the afternoon hitching Clarence's team of black percheron mares and ground driving them.

I asked Clarence if either of the mares were broke to ride, and he said "Lets find out!" He took the harness off the mares, put a set of reins on one's bridle to replace the driving lines, boosted me !Uuuuupppp! and away I went at a huge, ground covering trot!

Having not been ridden, she had no clue as to leg cues.... as a driver, she was totally voice command. I didn't canter her... driving horses, especially drafts are rarely ever cantered, but walk, trot and working trot were all there! I spent about 45 minutes trotting up and down the road in front of his house, grinning like an idiot! She was very smooth for all her high action, and so light in the mouth! Chris rode her too... she looked kinda funny, being even shorter than I, but she had the exact same idiotic grin on her face!

A few years later, at age 74, Clarence Anderson, longtime president of the SW Washington Draft Horse Association, died of a heart attack. He was sitting on a bale of hay next to the barn, enjoying the sunshine and cleaning harness. He died with his boots on, still holding the harness. I bet he died happy.

Julie
experience can be very hard, and at times you question why
you put yourself through such abuse. But then you remember all those
moments when you pop up over a hill and are suddenly surrounded by the most
stunning views.  It's just you and your horse and for a moment time stops
and you can hear the angels sing.  Therein lies the addiction, at least for
me.
~  Leslie Beyers