[RC] Electrolytes - sharon1359

What do I want to look for as far as the proportions of Sodium and Potassium go?
I noticed that Endura-Max, Perfect Balance, and Perform N' Win all have a lot
more Sodium than Potassium, which is exactly the opposite of Acculytes, Ride
Ryte, and Lyte Now.

This is our second season of competition.  Last year I used Endura-Max powder
and it seemed to work OK for the first ride, but then not after that.  I
finally just stopped using it because he drank better without it.

I know he'll need them for long rides on hot summer days, though, so I want to
figure this out.  My plan this year is to try a few different PASTE
electrolytes and see what works best... then maybe later I can start pre-mixing
the powdered version.

FOR PASTE, I've pretty much found only the following: Lyte-Now, Endura-Max,
Acculytes, and Perfect Balance.

I'm going to skip over the Endura-Max because of last year.  That leaves me with
Lyte-Now, Acculytes, and Perfect Balance.

I've heard you don't want too much sugar in e-lytes.  Lyte-Now Paste has a
glucose base... is that too much sugar?  Perfect Balance has NO sugar, but
doesn't specifically say that it's designed for endurance horses.

What do y'all think about Acculytes Paste? (
http://www.vita-flex.com/acculytespaste.htm ).  Abby Bloxsom's article does not
name it as one of the acceptable electrolytes, but I think that article is
getting old now, so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. (
http://www.ectra.org/heatpart2.htm )

Thanks in advance,
-Sharon K. and Zephyr's Elegant Gift ("Why do I have to eat THAT?!")
REAL endurance is taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards