Re: [RC] APF What is in it, and would residues from its administration violate rule 13? - Steven Proe

Tooooo Late.
Steven
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] APF What is in it, and would residues from its administration violate rule 13?

How do you define drug?  Only those drugs normally prescribed for horses?  What about substances that are not in regulated by the government?

OK I think you are advocating producing a list of substances that will be tested.  Now some of these will be legal drugs, and some will be illegal substances with no known use in equine medicine.   Apparently, you feel it would be OK if someone were feeding anabolicsteriods to horses, as long as they withdrew long enough before a race.

The list would have to be revised on a frequent basis.  One of the problems in human sports is that there is a constant stream of new designer substances so the authorities are playing a continuous game of catch-up.

I used to think that it might be useful to develop a listed "action level" ,  as you suggest, for normal useful vet medicines with any level of illegal, harmful, or non useful substances being banned in any measurable amount.  The vet committee sort of does this now by looking at the amounts and type of substance found on a case by case basis when considering penalties.   I have since changed my mind.

Human sports are in a real mess because of the administration of banned substances.  I don't know, but suspect, that other horse sports have more evasion of the spirit of their rules than we do.  I also see postings on Ridecamp every few months from people who want to give a magic substance (usually herbal and therefore OK) to their horses.  I am beginning to believe that allowing this camel's nose under the tent wall would probably result in the whole camel inside in a few years.  I do not want endurance riding to be as corrupt as human sports.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875