Re: [RC] APF What is in it, and would residues from its administration violate rule 13? - heidi

Heidi - no where did I suggest using herbs with pharmacological effects-
 what ever the hell that means. The AERC rule 13 prohibits normally
found  substances including vitamines and minerals in abnormal levels -
whatever the hell that means. Can you tell me what that means and can
you tell what the levels are and can you tell me why excpet for maybe
vit B1 which is a masking agent.

Apparently, Truman, I can't tell you what that means--because the rule to
me is crystal clear and its meaning is crystal clear.  So to "explain" it
to you, I'd likely just use more language just like the rule, and I gather
by what you state above that you don't understand what an "abnormal level"
is, or what a "pharmacological effect" is.  Those phrases have specific
meaning to me, and I don't think that it requires my veterinary degree to
understand that meaning.  I suspect it has more to do with my high school
English teacher.  So yes, Truman, I guess it is beyond me to "translate"
this rule for you--I read those phrases and I feel that I know EXACTLY
what the rule intends.

I do agree that sophistication of testing has made the "zero" aspect of
the rule a bit moot, and there may come a point where we do have to get
into the half-life aspect--but if we do, I hope we go WAAAY further than 5
half-lives.  The half-life of bute, for instance, is about 12 hours--so 5
half-lives is 2.5 days.  Any horse that needed bute 2.5 days ago doesn't
need to be out there.  (Or any other drug, for that matter.)

Regarding B1 as a masking agent--no, I don't think masking is the reason
for prohibiting megadoses.  It is my understanding that testers no longer
need to worry about masking due to B1 thanks to better testing protocols
(someone correct me if I'm wrong about that).  The concern is trying to
cover up things like muscles soreness and poor appetite with B vitamins or
using antioxidants like Vit C at megalevels in a misguided attempt to
overcome undue stress.  Likewise, substances such as MSM (which, although
its purported antiinflamatory effects may be moot, DOES have some effect
on microcirculation) are naturally occurring or can be used at a
supplementary level, but would fall under this aspect of the rule.

Again, sorry, Truman--but other than reading you the rule over and over
again, written in plain and (to me, at least) fully-understandable
English, I guess I don't know of any other way to "explain" it to you...

Heidi

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland