Re: [RC] APF What is in it, and would residues from its administration violate rule 13? - heidi

 Worrying about herbs and
supplements  is IMO a distraction to that goal.

Truman, comparing herbs to trace minerals is like comparing apples and
camels.  Herbs are complex plants that can contain MANY compounds.  They
work because they DO contain pharmacologically active substances.
Originally, most drugs came from plants/herbs, and the forerunners of most
drug classes were distilled from herbs.

Take a simple plant like yucca--it contains the active compound in
aspirin, which is a pretty potent NSAID.  Go smoke some marijuana--for
sure some pharmacological activity there, but heck, it's just an "herb."
Go drink some poppy juice--gee, it's just herbal, that opium in there
isn't a drug.  Go chew on some bella donna--when your eyes dilate from the
atropine and your gut activity changes, gee, that isn't a drug--it's just
an ol' plant.  Take a bit of foxglove, and see what happens to your heart
rate--golly, just another herb.  Check out those coca leaves--yeehaw, I'm
not high--that's just an herb...

Sorry, but I'd be VERY leery of ANY herbal remedies in a competing horse,
without some very specific knowledge of what is actually in the given
herb.  I personally take an assortment of Chinese herbs for various and
sundry reasons--and when the docs ask me for a list of the drugs I'm
taking, I am careful to list them all, because they can AND DO have
pharmacological effects.  If they didn't, I wouldn't be using them on
myself.  And because of the pharmacological effects of some herbs, the
docs ask that one go off of them prior to surgery, or not to take them in
combination with other specific meds, etc.  They work the same way in your
horse...  We are not talking normal foodstuffs here, or trace minerals.

Heidi

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano