[RC] Keeping "real" drugs out of the AERC - k s swigart

Truman said:

But you would spend some time in jail for possession of a federally
controlled substance. I don't know how anyone could not consider
cocaine, heroine, etc. a drug - the FDA the Justice Dept and every
state enforcement sure does.

Yes, and they do so because they are herbal extracts with demonstrable
pharmacological properties.

What Ed was pointing out was that studies had been done to determine the
pharmacological properties of the herbal extracts contained in APF, and
that, indeed, some of them were demonstrable and that consequently it is
just as "real" of a drug as cocaine and heroine (although, not with such
a long history of a bunch of negative properties as to rise to the
attention of the federal government....yet???). Administering them to
your competing endurance horse is in violation of the AERC's current
Rule 13.

And people who use it cannot make the argument, "I didn't know that it
would have a pharmacological effect." Since, one presumes, that the only
reason for giving it would be for its pharmacogical effects (i.e. if you
don't think it does anything, why are you using it?).

Make no mistake, the AERC is not the only organization that is having to
deal with this extremely thorny issue.  Even the federal government is
currently reviewing it policy on "food supplements" to determine if,
perhaps, it might be a bit too lax since it is leading to a bunch of
people over-medicating themselves because they have the same "it's not a
real drug so I don't have to worry about it" mentality and a bunch of
other people being fleeced by snake oil salesmen.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland