Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] Ulcers - heidi

            This study shows that gastric ulcers might be more the
rule
than
the exception when we exercise horses. Ongoing studies should provide
more ways--dietary and pharmaceutical--in which we can normalize the
pH or cushion the equine GI system to minimize damage.

I would read this to mean DIETARY first then pharmaceutical as a last
resort. Certainly, we can't take it to mean that more horses should be
on drugs, than not.

The article describes how the stomach works when the horse is exercised.
It sounds like it does what it is suppose to do. As the author
indicated, the same thing happens in human athletes. However, not all
athletes, and I'm going to stretch it a bit here, I would say most
athletes don't get acid reflux and heartburn. Why?Because if they are
serious about their training and competition schedule, they watch what
they eat and how hard they train, including R&R.

I would further add some points of consideration to this.

1)  This relates back to dietary management, but keep in mind that food in
the stomach pretty well dilutes the acid so that it isn't damaging.
Hence, in a sport like endurance where the horse is encouraged to eat at
every opportunity, those horses that will do so are providing themselves
with their own preventative.

2)  Keep in mind that simply confining a horse to a stall increases the
risk of ulcers considerably.  As Kat pointed out, one needs to do
controlled studies to really look at this, but it would be interesting to
see if the rate of ulcers in stalled horses was really much less than that
in endurance horses.

3)  Although Barney's study (as he himself pointed out) is a long way from
"proving" a lot of things that we'd like to, it is still noteworthy that
racehorses (who only exercise for a few minutes) have nearly double the
rate of ulcers of endurance horses, who exercise steadily for hours.

4)  Keep in mind that the only thing that the study quoted here
demonstrated was the physical approximation of acid-containing contents of
the stomach with the walls of the upper part of the stomach--it did not
demonstrate that this situation caused an increase in occurrence of
ulcers.  There are a great many other factors at work here.

Heidi

REAL endurance is sleeping in the tack compartment of your trailer w/the
door open, and your horse snorts/snots on your forehead every 30 min!
~ Heidi Sowards