Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] Ulcers - oddfarm

----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard Bramhall" <howard9732@xxxxxxx>
To: <AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] Ulcers

A rider forwarded me this and I'd like to share it with ya'll.

cya,
Howard

            This study shows that gastric ulcers might be more the rule
than
the exception when we exercise horses. Ongoing studies should provide more
ways--dietary and pharmaceutical--in which we can normalize the pH or
cushion the equine GI system to minimize damage.

I would read this to mean DIETARY first then pharmaceutical as a last
resort. Certainly, we can't take it to mean that more horses should be on
drugs, than not.

The article describes how the stomach works when the horse is exercised. It
sounds like it does what it is suppose to do. As the author indicated, the
same thing happens in human athletes. However, not all athletes, and I'm
going to stretch it a bit here, I would say most athletes don't get acid
reflux and heartburn. Why?Because if they are serious about their training
and competition schedule, they watch what they eat and how hard they train,
including R&R.

Isn't THAT a novel idea?

And let me go a little further here and say that most athletes don't go very
long in competition without putting something in their stomach every hour or
so. (I am talking about marathon and ultra runners as well as tri-athletes
who go for more than an hour in competition) Not heavy food, stuff like Goo,
protein bars, etc. But the ultra runners will gobble chips, coke, orange
juice, crackers, all of which could certainly cause indigestion. But it
doesn't seem to.

Now, the runners who aren't suited to this kind of sport, who throw up at
the start, the finish and everywhere on the trail, and have to visit the
port-o-let every 3 miles, they are going to have problems. They can take
Imodium, Advil and every over the counter drug they want to PREVENT these
problems for the race, but I guarantee, they don't feel good for the next
week or so. Is that what we would want for our horses??

The author indicated that the fasted horses had more problems that the ones
who had eaten 2 hours before. Hmmm. You don't say? So, that says to me, (but
what do I know) if you keep food in the horses stomach, it will lesson the
chances of having problems. Plenty of fluids and roughage.

You think that would work?

Yes, it is true that horses were meant for short bursts of energy to escape
danger and not the long distances we subject them to in our sport. But I
think with a little common sense, a good feeding and conditioning strategy
and finding a horse that is suited to this sport is far better preventive
for MANY problems than any "pharmaceutical" on the market. Call me crazy.
I've been called worse.

Lisa Salas, Teh Odd faRm and Corona Ranch.

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm