Re: [RC] TWH Advice - Paul Latiolais

Pete,

I get a lot of looks (and comments) after riding in on my paso fino. I have not read the other responses, so I hope I am not duplicating too much, but here goes.

I would not worry about competing yet. Just go out there and have fun. Try to walk up those big hills, so your horse will have something for the straights and the downhills. Gaited horses do have a slight advantage in that they can fly down some (low grade) hills where most arabs have to walk. I would try to "gait" a lot on the straight and downhill. That will give you plenty of time (depending on the particular ride) to walk up those hills.

If you HAVE to cantor, only do it up real short hills and not more than about 5 or 10 minutes on the flat , especially near the beginning of the ride. And be sure to walk in the last 1/2 mile or so, at the vet check AND at the end of the ride. That will give your horse plenty of time to re-coop his pulse rate.

There is a lot of stuff you will learn on the way that can help, but just remember to go out there and have fun.

Enjoy,

-Paul L.