Re: [RC] Why do we vaccinate horses every year? (long) - Sisu West Ranch

There are many things that must be considered in developing a vaccine
schedule:

1. Legal  Some states require some vaccinations on a schedule.  In WI you
must have a dog license.  To get a dog license you must show proof of rabies
vaccination within a year.  .  If your dog was accused of breaking the skin
of a child, proof of a rabies vaccination within 12 months would be quite
helpful both legally and for your peace of mind.

Ths can also spill over into civil actions.  Your Vet may suspect that
he/she is recommending a few more vaccinations than needed, but if he/she
does not follow the vaccine manufacturer's recommendations or community (of
vets) standards, and your animal gets sick you could successfully sue
him/her for lots of money.  Would you want to take a chance of losing your
means of making a living and your home by recommending infrequent
vaccination?

There is no incentive for a vaccine manufacturer to find out how long the
interval can be made between vaccinations.  The studies would cost a bunch,
and not increase sales.  A no brainer in a capitalist society.  (Some people
feel that an alternate economic system is better, but I don't.) Government
money could be used to find out better vaccination schedules.  Would this be
a wise use of tax dollars?
2. Severity of the disease.  Horses are quite suseptible to tetinus and are
carriers of the bacteria.  It is usually fatal.  Do you wish to take a
chance that every 3 years is often enough?  How much of a chance are you
willing to take about Rabies?

3. What is the track record of the vaccine? We do  the Ft. Dodge WNV 2x per
year because of some evidence that the immunity is marginal both in amount
and length of action.

4. What is your risk of exposure?  One can rationally take chances with
diseases that are not very prevalent in an area, especially if they are
mild.

5. Aside from some expense, what is the downside of vaccination?  There is a
lot of talk about the dangers of "over vaccination"  and stories of animals
being made sick by vaccination.  I have not seen any good scientific
evidence of "over vaccination" being a problem.  If anyone has a refereed
journal reference that reads on this, please send it to me.  I have never in
35 years of vaccinating  my horses seen a reaction that I feel was worth
worrying about; therefore; I conclude that if some horses get very sick I
must be lucky and have a herd of exceptional individuals and should not
worry.

My bottom line is that I vaccinate myself, my dogs, my cats, my horses and,
when they were minors, my children, for just about every disease they are
even somewhat likely to contact.  Others may make other decisions.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt