[RC] Trailer floor maintenance - DreamWeaver

http://www.cdc.gov/nasd/docs/d000801-d000900/d000842/d000842.html  and
http://www.horsecity.com/stories/052303/wfe_trailermain_BB.shtml

Basically, for trailer floor maintenance, here are the recommendations:

Removing the mats after each use and cleaning the floor by sweeping or hosing. Make certain that the floor is completely dry before replacing the matting.

====

It is very important that the mats not be put back if the floor is not dry. The reason why is that the mats will contribute to the floor decomposing. This is true for aluminum trailers especially -- and why it's really not a good idea to be doing a 'cowboy shower' in the back of them unless you have a way of draining the water out so it isn't getting between your mat and the floor.

A little over a year ago I went on the great trailer hunt. We looked at dozens and dozens of used horse trailers, most of them within a year or two old. *Most* of them already had damage to the floor underneath the mats due to them not being properly cleaned after every use.

This is why we ordered a WERM floor with the new trailer -- no more removing mats. This can be added to an existing trailer. But, if anybody out there is considering purchasing a new trailer, put this at the top of your list for something to consider. It is a great feature. http://wermflooring.com/

Karen
in NV

Prudence and focus will carry you a long way on a horse. ~ Frank Solano