Re: [RC] Genetic diseases - Elite

   In this case there isn't a test for the disease.   I believe they were
wise to cut that branch off the tree and let the rest of the tree live.
Your right, in some cases there are reasons to work through the defect and
come out the other side clear.    But when you can't test for it, you can
only blindly promote it.
Linda

Subject: Re: [RC] Genetic diseases

     I've seen a recessive genetic disease handled several different
ways in
dogs.    In the Italian Spimoni, they were able to identify the carrier
stud very early and refused registration to any dog with that stud in
the pedigree.  But the breed is very small and the parent club very
young, so that is why they were able to take such a stand.

That is the very thing that geneticists caution AGAINST doing,
particularly in breeds with small gene pools.  There is SO much genetic
diversity that is just flushed down the drain with that sort of knee-jerk
reaction to the identification of a genetic disease.  Half of that dog's
offspring would have been CLEAR, but his entire contribution is now lost
to the breed.  Tragic.

Heidi

REAL endurance is reading the LD vs. Endurance thread/debate every 3
months!!!
~ Heidi Sowards