Re: [RC] PocoBueno thing - Honeycrek2

In a message dated 3/2/04 8:20:13 PM Central Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

So it is really incorrect to suggest that it is the linebreeding that
"causes" the problem.

Of course, Heidi, you are the expert and I defer to your higher level of education in these matters.  Perhaps my wording was not absolute in the scientific definition.  The way I read the report, it seemed to me that linebreeding Poco Bueno was enhancing or magnifying (thus causing) the existing problem.  Here is a snip of the report:

“It is not just a problem with cutting horses,” she says. “It can involve
all disciplines when Poco Bueno is involved.” “It’s not the horses’ fault,”
says Rashmir. “It’s the way we have bred them. Many of these horses have
been, and are, wonderful athletes and, though they are carriers, have no outward
signs of the disease. Breeders are going to have to take responsibility for
their decisions and not breed known carrier to known carrier.” Mississippi State
University has taken a step to facilitate that process. Horse owners can send
pedigrees involving potential matings to Rashmir and she will analyze them and
seek to determine the degree of probability of the offspring inheriting
either the gene or the disease itself. A fee of $25, which goes directly into the
HC Research Fund, is charged. The address is College of Veterinary Medicine,
P.O. Box 6100, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS 39762. With
Rashmir’s help, the first step in curtailing spread of the HC gene pool can be
taken by individual breeders. The American Quarter Horse association is
concerned about HC, says Gary Griffith, executive director of registration for AQHA.
He says the announcement by Rashmir and Winand, to his knowledge, is the
first public revelation concerning the Poco Bueno bloodline being the primary
reservoir for the HC gene. He said that AQHA is funding research at the University
of California, Davis, which is attempting to identify the gene responsible
for HC. Hopefully, such research, he says, will provide a simple genetic test
that will identify HC carriers. “All of the information stemming from research
into this problem will be passed on to the appropriate (AQHA) committees for
consideration and action,” he says. There is good news for owners of Poco
Bueno-bred horses--not all of them are HC gene carriers. Many are not. The goal is
to determine which ones are and avoid breeding carrier to carrier.

happy trails
Carrie Anne

Carrie A. Lewis
Honey Creek Farms Est. 1987
Prairieville, Texas
Performance Plus Arabian Horses
Visitors Welcome:
Ask us about our War Mares:  Fierce Protectors, Gentle Guardians, Fast Friends.
http://public.fotki.com/CarrieLewis/arabian_horses/
http://www.geocities.com/sultaraamee/HoneyCreekFarmsArabianHorses.html
Honey Creek Farms Riding Therapy Center
http://www.geocities.com/sultaraamee/RidingTherapyCenter.html

Stallions at Stud:
AK, SE, Asil - Sulta Ra'Amee (bay), Tammarem ww (chestnut)
AK, Asil, SO, Heirloom, AF - Greggans Kual lhf (chestnut), Moufira lhf (chestnut)
EAF, SBV, CMK, $$ - Mesqual (bay)
AF - Ibn Shallaan hc (black)
CMK, AFB - Freedom hc (liver chestnut), ka Cimmaron Wind (bay)

When age prevents me from riding, I will
Still have horses as long as
I can shuffle along with a pail.
When I can no longer shuffle, I will roll
My wheelchair to the pasture fence
To watch my horses graze.