Re: [RC] [RC] When to stop feeding fat before a race - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I know that we should stop the oil three days before a ride, that one is
obvious.  But their feed is very high in fat... should we be switching
them
from their feed to ENTIRELY plain beet pulp at the same time??

You're okay continuing to feed the high fat grain-plus-beet-pulp during a
ride, because you're still not feeding all that much fat at one time.  You
just don't want to be pouring on additional liquid fat, or adding additional
prilled fat.

QUESTION TWO:
What do we do about feeding something at intervals along the trail?
Should we
bring baggies filled halfway with feed and halfway with plain beet pulp?

Sure, that'd be fine.

Should we bring baggies filled entirely with feed, or entirely with plain
beet
pulp?

Either one would be fine---I'd lean more towards the mix the horse is
already used to, prefers and will eat readily out on the trail.

Susan G
SUSAN E. GARLINGHOUSE, DVM, MS
Michael S. Peralez, DVM & Associates
1005 North Santa Anita Drive
Arcadia, California 91006
(626) 446-8911
http://www.shady-acres.com/susan

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith