Re: [RC] [RC] When to stop feeding fat before a race - sharon1359

Here's a variation on the theme:

My riding buddy and I feed both our horses 4# per day of a beet-pulp based feed
that is 10% protein and 12% fat, and also a cup of Rice Bran Oil.  HER horse
also gets two cups (measured when dry, then soaked) of rolled beet pulp.

We do 25-50 mile rides at this point.

QUESTION ONE:
I know that we should stop the oil three days before a ride, that one is
obvious.  But their feed is very high in fat... should we be switching them
from their feed to ENTIRELY plain beet pulp at the same time??  Or maybe just
give them 2# per day of the feed and make up the difference with plain beet
pulp?  That would cut the amount of fat in half.

QUESTION TWO:
What do we do about feeding something at intervals along the trail?  Should we
bring baggies filled halfway with feed and halfway with plain beet pulp?
Should we bring baggies filled entirely with feed, or entirely with plain beet
pulp?

I guess I need to have it spelled out for my exact situation.  :-P  Let me know
if you need more information.

Thanks in advance!!
-Sharon Kenney & Zephyr's Elegant Gift (Just FEED me, Mom, I don't care what!)
I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton