Re: [RC] speaking of twh/mft - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 1/1/2004 12:36:28 PM Central Standard Time, ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

You could feel his back end drop, the beats per minute decrease and the speed increase.

This describes exactly what it feels like when my gelding hits what I call his big trot.  He gets lower, especially in the rear, I feel him widen out, he lowers his head and neck, and there is no more "up and down" motion - no need to post.  All of the movement is just incredibly powerful forward thrusting...I just 2-point.  My husband has seen him do it and describes him as getting "long and low."  Everytime I think he's going as fast as he can go at a trot, another ride will come along and he'll go even faster.  We had 5 other horses galloping to keep up with him at one 50 - had I not been there, I would not have believed a horse could trot that fast.  He kept it up for about 2 miles over a hilly, mostly uphill, course till I slowed him down.  It's an incredible feeling - exhilerating.

Dawn in East Texas