Re: [RC] Olympics and endurance? - Jackie Winkleman

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon to make endurance an
olympic sport.  (I don't think everyone would like to
watch it either - but I don't care to watch most of
the people sports). I just think that there's always a
positive side and if it WERE to go to the olympics -
wouldn't it be better to TRY and make it as much as a
positive influence as possible instead of so many
people being against it?  Use that energy to promote
the good things about it.

As far as people watching it - i don't watch riders
come in because I'm tired, I truly enjoy it.  But you
are right the non-horse people might not want to
watch.

I guess if I were riding at that level (i'm not, and
may never be) I wouldn't care if I had spectators or
not, I would simply be glad I was able to compete at
such a high level.

I think with every change, there's probably almost
always something negative.  I guess I just try to stay
honest and ride my own ride.  I don't let others' bad
sportmanship bother me, as it will alsways be present
to some degree.
--- Susan Young Casey <glenn218@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
We can discuss endurance in the Olympics all we want
to.  The fact is, not many people are going to pay
money to sit in the venue while even the first place
horse comes in.  If it's not a race, what's the big
deal?  Sure, it's a big deal to us...WE'RE endurance
riders.  In marketing, you've got to think of your
market.  What would the average Joe want to spend
his
money on?  Paying good money to sit and watch horses
trickle in or a Grand Prix jumping event with action
at least a minute at a go?

You are absolutely correct; there's always ONE who
will do something stupid and a horse dies as a
result.
 How badly do you want to show THAT to the world?
As
long as folks (who may have never completed a 100
mile
ride before) can lease horses, or as long as you've
got those who will ride a horse to death, you're
going
to have fatalities.  Doing a 100-mile horse RACE is
an
extreme sport.  If it was humans running the 100
miles
(which they do) and a human dies, the world doesn't
get all upset like they do when a horse dies because
the horse doesn't have a say in the matter.

Please consider the possible negative consequences
before jumping on the band wagon to make endurance
an
Olympic event.

And, thinking how WE enjoy watching everyone else
finish after WE'VE completed the course is NOT
thinking how a spectator thinks.  The average
spectator isn't tired...they haven't just ridden 100
miles.  They want action.

One more issue I have with endurance as an Olympic
sport is that the Olympics are for HUMANS and
endurance is NOT a human sport.  None of the equine
sports are human sports.  We do not test the human's
athletic abiliies; we test the equine's abilities.
So, why are ANY equine sports in the Olympics?

If I were to attend the Olympic games and had to
pick
which events I'd see, I'd pick the events that were
the most fun to watch.  While I'd rather RIDE in an
endurance ride, I'd rather WATCH gymnastics.

Oh...and kick that "Curling" thing out too.  How
much
of an athlete does that take?  Pool isn't an Olympic
event.  Geeze!

=====
Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink, LIW, RRHA, RHS
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that
will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!"         - Charles Dickens
(1812-1870)

http://shopping.yahoo.com