Re: [RC] Olympics and endurance? - Susan Young Casey

We can discuss endurance in the Olympics all we want
to.  The fact is, not many people are going to pay
money to sit in the venue while even the first place
horse comes in.  If it's not a race, what's the big
deal?  Sure, it's a big deal to us...WE'RE endurance
riders.  In marketing, you've got to think of your
market.  What would the average Joe want to spend his
money on?  Paying good money to sit and watch horses
trickle in or a Grand Prix jumping event with action
at least a minute at a go?

You are absolutely correct; there's always ONE who
will do something stupid and a horse dies as a result.
How badly do you want to show THAT to the world?  As
long as folks (who may have never completed a 100 mile
ride before) can lease horses, or as long as you've
got those who will ride a horse to death, you're going
to have fatalities.  Doing a 100-mile horse RACE is an
extreme sport.  If it was humans running the 100 miles
(which they do) and a human dies, the world doesn't
get all upset like they do when a horse dies because
the horse doesn't have a say in the matter.

Please consider the possible negative consequences
before jumping on the band wagon to make endurance an
Olympic event.

And, thinking how WE enjoy watching everyone else
finish after WE'VE completed the course is NOT
thinking how a spectator thinks.  The average
spectator isn't tired...they haven't just ridden 100
miles.  They want action.

One more issue I have with endurance as an Olympic
sport is that the Olympics are for HUMANS and
endurance is NOT a human sport.  None of the equine
sports are human sports.  We do not test the human's
athletic abiliies; we test the equine's abilities.
So, why are ANY equine sports in the Olympics?

If I were to attend the Olympic games and had to pick
which events I'd see, I'd pick the events that were
the most fun to watch.  While I'd rather RIDE in an
endurance ride, I'd rather WATCH gymnastics.

Oh...and kick that "Curling" thing out too.  How much
of an athlete does that take?  Pool isn't an Olympic
event.  Geeze!

=====
Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink, LIW, RRHA, RHS
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride
on over all obstacles,
and win the race!"         - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)