Re: [RC] Olympics and endurance? - Jackie Winkleman

I think it's safe to say the entire membership of
AERC
was new at one time and didn't have the "benefit" of
seeing endurance as an olympic event.

Right.  We didn't have the "benefit" but I personally
don't think there is anything wrong with it.  If
Endurance did go to the Olympics you would hope that
the US, as well as other countries would use good
judgement in competing (and the same at local levels).
There will always be those who don't use good
judgement, but remember we are there (at whatever
level) to have fun, right?  Some people do have other
motives - no matter what the level of competition.
This will alsways be the case.

I promote endurance locally.  The hold-up for most
folks is they don't want to ride 25 miles much less
50
or 100.  There's also the time/money constraint
holding many people back.

There are a lot of people I know who would like to do
some endurance riding, but don't know much about it -
it isn't that they would not like to ride that far (as
well as the ones who just don't want to ride that far,
etc.)

Try sitting and watching an endurance race.
It'd be like sitting and watching the grass grow!

I don't agree with that.  Most endurance rides (at
least ones that I have been too) have some space
between the riders and horses.  They don't usually
rush across the finish line all at once.

Maybe it won't be ever be a spectator sport, but I
hardly compare it to watching the grass grow.
And I, once I am done with my ride, like to sit and
watch others somewhere on the trail or at the finish
line.

--- Susan Young Casey <glenn218@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- Jackie Winkleman <jwinkleman_2001@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Why don't we want new people?  Everyone starts out
"new."

I think it's safe to say the entire membership of
AERC
was new at one time and didn't have the "benefit" of
seeing endurance as an olympic event.

I promote endurance locally.  The hold-up for most
folks is they don't want to ride 25 miles much less
50
or 100.  There's also the time/money constraint
holding many people back.

Who is to say that the other sports are
"spectator"
sports?  Like basketball...

Just because you and I don't want to sit and watch a
game of basketball doesn't mean it's not a
"spectator"
sport.  It's a spectator sport because the ease in
which those who are willing and able CAN sit and
watch
a game.  Try sitting and watching an endurance race.

It'd be like sitting and watching the grass grow!
Once everyone race by your spot, you'd be done as a
spectator.  Unless, of course, you had the money to
lease a vehicle and drive to several spots.  But, by
defination, endurance is NOT a spectator sport.
And,
I don't know how to make it one.

If a country could shell out the major bucks for
strategically placed camaras along a 100-mile
course,
how exciting would it be to watch a bunch of horses
walk/trot/canter along?  Not very.  There goes that
grass again.  It's not like a 22-fence XC course.

Then, there's the OTHER monster of FEI rules.  I
feel
that FEI is already taking over some local rides and
I'm TOTALLY against that!  Talk about keeping new
blood out!  NO ONE starts any equine sport at the
FEI
level and that's exactly what will happen if some
people have their way.

And, how many people start this sport with a 100
miler?  PLENTY, for sure!  You may be surprised how
many started with a 100...NOT because it looked easy
but because that's all there was or some other
reason.
 And, I know OF a few, who ought to be in prision,
who
started RACING pasture potatoes and killed the horse
right then and there.

Folks can watch show jumping or XC and think, "That
looks fun."  However, it's doubtful if they'd go
out,
grab ole Faithful, throw the ole Western saddle on,
and start jumping 5 rail fences.  However, when
watching a bunch of horses trot/canter down a trail,
well, heck!  "I do that once a month!" and there you
go.

=====
Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink, LIW, RRHA, RHS
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that
will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles,
and win the race!"         - Charles Dickens
(1812-1870)

http://shopping.yahoo.com