Re: [RC] Olympics and endurance? - Truman Prevatt

Why do you assume that. Look what has happened to the Olympics today. The judging scandal in SLC. The corruption in the IOC leading up to the SLC games. Now the corruption that has caused the USOC's president to resign and congress calling for her replacement to resign. The drug use among athletics that the IOC didn't want to face up to until forced. Where since the Olympics allowed professional athletics to participate do you find anything but problems and corruption in the Olympics?

After what has happened to the Olympic movement over the past 20 years it seems that UAE endurance racing would fit right in. If Endurance gets to the Olympics it will be UAE flat track distance racing probably at much shorter distances than 100 miles or even 100 kilometers to make it "spectator friendly" and to reduce the cost of building and securing the course.  AERC style endurance is a true amature sport - practiced by amatures for their enjoyment and love of horses. The Olympics is now a professional sporting event.  Sports like AERC endurance don't seem to have a place in the Olympics any longer.

Truman

Jackie Winkleman wrote:

Right.  We didn't have the "benefit" but I personally
don't think there is anything wrong with it.  If
Endurance did go to the Olympics you would hope that
the US, as well as other countries would use good
judgement in competing (and the same at local levels).
 There will always be those who don't use good
judgement, but remember we are there (at whatever
level) to have fun, right?  Some people do have other
motives - no matter what the level of competition.
This will alsways be the case.