Re: [RC] Olympics and endurance? - Susan Young Casey

It's not a question of being positive or negative.
It's a question of being realistic.  In this case, the
negative, bad sportsmanship WILL come out (on the
Olympic level...as it did at the WEG) and a horse will
suffer the consequences.  Now, how will that affect us
here at home?

AERC endurance will not work on the Olympic level.
UAE endurance would.  However, we've seen what happens
there when horses/riders aren't ready for that kind of
competition.

Like most of us, we ride our own ride.  Our kind of
riding wouldn't make an Olympic sport and I'm not sure
I'd want it to.

I guess if I were riding at that level (i'm not, and
may never be) I wouldn't care if I had spectators or
not, I would simply be glad I was able to compete at
such a high level.

There again, that's not the point.  The point is would
SPECTATORS be willing to PAY to watch?  It's the
spectators that make it possible for the athlets in
ANY Olympic sport to compete.  If an event doesn't
make money, they don't have that event.  Also, if TV
audiences don't watch that event, it's not shown and
that exposure isn't there so that the average Joe at
home STILL doesn't know about endurance.  That's just
being realistic.

I think with every change, there's probably almost
always something negative.

Of course there is.  My Daddy says, "There's always
one!"  Ice skating has taken a beating with all the
cheating...HA! AND beating!  However, there will
always be those of us who watch it because of the
beauty and athleticism of the sport.  The majority of
skaters and judges are fair and honest people.  They
will overcome the cheaters of the group.

We've overcome things like Catoosa.  But, it was a
hard row to hoe and many of us don't want anything
like that happening again.  We're just being realistic.

=====
Susan Young Casey, Princess of Pink, LIW, RRHA, RHS
Semper Obliquo (Always aside)

Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.

"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride
on over all obstacles,
and win the race!"         - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)