Re: [RC] Olympics and endurance? - Typef

I'm not sure I want to chip in but I guess I'm going to. And I'm not siding
one way or the other. Heck, until this thread came along, I thought
Endurance WAS an Olympic sport and even posted something about a year ago
about it and nobody corrected me. Must have been something I read about
World Championships or something that made me think that.

I think there are a lot of sports in the Olympics that never make it to the
spectator "make money" idea, like archery, one of my favorite things. I was
even training for it when in high school. My instructors thought I had what
it took and had a maple leave pinned to the equipment room door. I made it
to state level and the school burned down. Nowhere else to train and my
parents couldn't give a rip about it anyway so I had to quit. I've yet to
see that on TV. Maybe they had it and I missed it but I know there are an
awful lot of weird sports that are in the Olympics that I've never even
heard of and still haven't seen. I agree that Endurance is not necessarily a
spectator sport and it wouldn't make money for TV coverage but then these
other sports aren't either.

I do know that I traveled to Los Angeles for the 1984 Olympics solely to
watch the Equestrian events, none of which are my field of riding expertise
(not that I have one LOL). Damn hard to watch a cross country course since
you only get to stand in one spot basically, but it was exciting none the
less. We paid absolute big bucks to be there, too. I remember the tickets
were $75 a piece for the stadium stuff way back in the back. For someone on
a limited income it was a real stretch. I'd go again in a heartbeat if I
could afford it.

I'n not sure cross country is any less dangerous than horses traveling fast
to win an Endurance ride. But then you notice I didn't say race, so then, I
guess that leaves Endurance out of the Olympics. Don't mind me, I'm thinking
as I'm typing. But then again, if the rules were the same as our AERC, then
we'd still have a ball game.

I think I'll go look up all those weird sports I was talking about. ...

Jackie (killing time at work with nothing else to do but say stupid things)