[RC] Digital cameras for endurance riding - Flora Hillman

I'm about to embark out on a ride in the current snowstorm that is busy burying the Washington DC area in (what is supposed to amount to) over a foot and a half of snow, and I'm taking my new 4mg digital camera with me.

I'd been researching and comparing digital cameras -- to use and carry during endurance riding -- for the past 3 months. My 35 mm is too heavy, and while my digital Sony Mavica was fast, easy, and (fairly) portable, it was also too low a resolution to get the quality picture I wanted.  Plus the Sony blurred when a shot was taken at the "wrong time" during the rise or fall of a trot.

I needed a very light, very easy, very small, very portable, super high resolution camera that could be manipulated with one hand, and NOT blur while taking shots, accept add-on lens -- wide-angle, close-up, and a telephoto for increasing the focal length -- and use straight or rechargeable batteries and/or battery packs. In short, I wanted all the conveniences necessary for an endurance rider who is also a camera fanatic.    The ONLY camera that fit the bill was the  palm sized Kodak (DX4900) that takes extraordinarily brilliant photos on the fly -- one-handed aim-and-shoot while trotting or cantering -- and the photos come out crystal clear,  the colors are breathtakingly gorgeous, and the resolution is phenomenal at 35mm quality. The printed photos are every bit as good as those from my 35mm SLR Minolta.  My son even tested the capture ability of the digital's shutter speed by spinning around in the circle, and clicking the shutter on the fly.  The photo came out looking like he'd been standing dead still.  Amazing!   I've tested the camera out on two rides already -- slipping it in and out of my jacket pocket numerous times (while wearing my thick woolen gloves) to capture a quick shot while trotting along, and it's definitely a keeper!!  Retails between $350-$400.  I plan on carrying it with me this year and recording the scenery, people, and events for my monthly website.

Gotta go catch the pony and saddle up before the snow gets any deeper.  We're going to use our new polar fleece quarter sheet (which comes up and covers the riders legs and saddle, as well as the pony's rump) since the winds are starting to blow the snow sideways.

Can't wait to see the photos from this ride....!